Board Meeting Minutes – 07.07.21
Lake Country Classical Academy
Board Meeting Minutes (at LCCA West Campus, 818 W. Wisconsin Ave, Oconomowoc)
July 7, 2021
Board Members in Attendance:
– Kristina Vourax – Taryn Whipple – Royce Hix
– Ali Schweitzer – Tim Peterson
– Tom Gehl (via phone)
Also in Attendance
– LCCA Principal, Bart Williams
– LCCA HR Director, Kim Nichols
– LCCA Business Manager, Eric Wozniak
– LCCA Assistant Principal, Margaret Daigneau
Board Meeting Called to Order
- 7:02 p.m.
- Pledge of Allegiance.
- Agenda approved.
- Floor opened for public comment, none given.
- Board meeting minutes from June 23, 2021 approved.
6. Principals Report (Bart)
- Bart Williams asked the Board to introduce themselves to the new key staff members in attendance
- Skyward Proposal: Eric Wozniak recommended Skyward for the school’s software management system for financial accounting and reporting. Motion was made by Alexandra Schweitzer to approve the Skyward proposal, seconded by Dan Fuhrman. The motion carried.
- Enrollment Update: Enrollment for the 2021-2022 school year remains strong with a total of 403 accepted offers in grades K-9. In an effort to confirm which families are serious about fully enrolling their children, we gave a July 1 deadline to all parents, asking them to complete registration by this deadline. This resulted in withdrawing approximately 50 students, which allowed us to give these offers to other students on the waitlist. We continue to have waitlists for kindergarten and 5th grade. We will aggressively market enrollment to families in underserved areas to backfill the remaining seats. Our next enrollment deadline (in which students need to be fully registered and fees paid) is July 31.
- Orientation and training dates:
- July 8, 2021 LCCA faculty welcome breakfast
- July 27-30 Institute for writing and excellence
instructional staff providing teacher training at LCCA West the last two weeks inAugust.
- Summer Schedule:
- Fri. July 16th: Game night at LCCA West for 7th – 9th grade students from 5:30 to8:30 p.m.
- Fri. July 23rd: Game night at LCCA West for 5th & 6th grade students from 5:30 to8:30 p.m. Elementary students (K-4th) play date at Fowler Park, 5:30-8:30 p.m.
- Sat. July 31st: LCCA Liberty Gala (at Oconomowoc Community Center; ticketsrequired)!!
- Fri. August 13th:: Game night at LCCA West for 5th & 6th grade students from 5:30to 8:30 p.m. Elementary students (K-4th) play date at Fowler Park, 5:30-8:30p.m.
- Fri. August 20th: Game night at LCCA West for 7th – 9th grade students from 5:30to 8:30 p.m.
- Mon. August 23: Faculty and staff convene at LCCA. Open house at bothlocations 4:30-6:30 p.m.
- Tues. August 24: Hillsdale instructional staff at LCCA to train faculty andadministrators the rest of the week.
- Fri. August 27: Grand-opening/ribbon-cutting ceremony at LCCA West for all ofLCCA (mid-day).
- Mon. August 30: Hillsdale instructional staff back at LCCA for four more days oftraining us.
- Tues. August 31: Open house 4:30-6:30 p.m. at both LCCA locations.
- Tues. Sept. 7: First day of school!
7. Treasurer’s Report (Royce):
- We received an additional $200k deposit for a loan, as anticipated. Additional funding sources are unchanged from the prior meeting, suggesting we still exceeded our pre-opening budget goal of $1.26M by $108k (9%). The Operating Costs category ended unfavorably, largely due to timing issues with purchases made in advance of the first operational year. These are more than offset by favorable expense variances in every other category.
- Prepaid expenses related to the Liberty Gala are $9,821, which are more than offset by paid registrations to-date. We remain net positive on cash flow for this event. We completed the pre-operating fiscal year ahead of expectations by $257,626. There is a sufficient buffer to cover the duration of time until we anticipate operating payments to come in from the state, as reflected in the Forecasted Cushion figure.
- Handing off tracking responsibilities will occur in the coming weeks, as LCCA’s Business Manager will be posting these transactions. Once a budget is approved for the first fiscal operating year, and a process is in place for data extraction, this report will again compare pro-rata actuals vs. budgeted expectations.
- Facilities and Finance Committee Update (Tim/Dan/Royce/Bart)
- Painting almost done at LCCA West
- Sink in nurses room to be installed soon
- Acoustic panels added to the stage
- Holy Trinity renovations to start soon
- DPI Budget Grant (see attached)
- Fundraising & Stakeholder Communications Committee (Kristina and Ali)
- LCCA Liberty Gala is set for July 31, 2021: sold out, meal requests due Thursday July 15. Expect the event to raise $30,000+.
- Trap Shooting set for October 16, 202l.
- November 6, 2021 Ambassadors’ Ball ticket price set $250 per person.
- Legacy Committee fall fundraiser: flower bulb sale.
New Business – Action items:
- Bart Williams presented the FY2021-2022 Operating & Capital Budget. Motion was made by Tom Gehl to approve the FY2021-2022 Operating & Capital Budget. Seconded by Tim Peterson. The motion carried.
- Bart Williams presented the FY2021-2022 DPI Implementation Grant budget. Motion was made by Tim Peterson to approve the FY2021-2022 DPI Implementation Grant budget. Seconded by Kristina Vourax. The motion carried.
- LCCA Charter & ByLaws – Kristina Vourax will be sharing these documents with the board for their review and inclusion in the board manual.
- Administrative updates: Dropbox is being created to house and share all board documents. Board name tags and business cards are also being created.
14. Meeting adjourned at 8:18 p.m.