Lake Country Classical Academy
Special Board Meeting
November 3, 2021, 7 p.m.
LCCA West Campus, 818 W. Wisconsin Ave, Oconomowoc
President Kristina Vourax called the meeting to order at 7:05 PM. All Board members were present with the exception of Royce Hix. Tim Peterson attended the meeting via remote phone connection.
Agenda Approval – Citizens Forum – Minutes from October Meeting:
- Motion made by Tom Gehl to approve the Agenda – Motion was approved.
- There were no comments offered in the Citizen’s Forum
- Motion made by Ali Schweitzer to approve minutes from the October 5, 2021 meetingwas made and approvedLeadership Report:
• Interim Principal Margaret Daigneau presented the Leadership Team Report. The report covered a variety of topics ranging from school activities to Parent-Teacher Conferences. The report can be found attached to these minutes.
- An amended budget for 2021-22 was presented by Dan Fuhrman. It was reviewed and discussed.
- Motion made by Tom Gehl to approve the amended budget as presented.
- Motion approved.Spending Authority – Interim Principal:
- A motion made by Brian Hastings to approve spending authorities for the Interim Principal along the following lines:>Expenses and capital projects as contained in the approved Amended Budget for FY 2021-22>Delegation of Authority up to but not exceeding $5,000 for items not in the Amended Budget
- Motion approved
Legacy Committee and Expenses for Liberty Gala:
- Motion made by Tom Gehl to approve expenses submitted by the Legacy Committee for the Liberty Gala held on July 31, 2021
- Motion approved
401-K Plan for LCCA Employees:
- Dan Fuhrman presented a recommended plan developed by T. Row Price for a 401-K savings program for LCCA employees
- Details of plan can be provided to interested parties, but primary tenets are 50% matching up to 3% of salary, with a payout of matching funds to be made once a year, on July 1 of each successive year.
- Motion to approve plan made by Ali Schweitzer
- Motion approvedLCAA Policy on Student Discipline:
- Policy was presented by Margaret Daigneau
- Motion made by Tim Peterson to approve policy, with a Board request for clarification onthe place of recess in the policy. Margaret to provide said clarification
- Motion approved •Admissions and Lottery Policy:
- Policy presented and discussed
- Eligibility for 4-K is to be four years old on or before September 1 of the school year
- Eligibility for 5-K to be five years old on or before September 1 of the school year
- Motion made for approval by Taryn Whipple
- Motion approvedPosition of Board Secretary:
- Motion made by Ali Schweitzer to nominate and approve Tom Gehl for the position of Board Secretary
- Motion approved •Status of Board Committees:
- Kristina explained the function and roles of the two Board Committees
- Finance and facilities are now combined into one committee – this is Chaired by DanFuhrman
- Communications and Fund Raising remains unchanged – this is chaired by KristinaVourax
- Finance and Facilities:>Evaluating the purchase of a Van/SUV to transport staff and students between campuses>Plumbing issues have been addressed
>Condition of roofs are adequate for the present time
>HVAC issues being addressed by contractor
>Flag pole at the East campus is being repaired
>A full time custodian is covering East, and two part-time custodians are handlingneeds at West
>Grounds maintenance being covered by volunteers
>Additional options being evaluated for additional space, possible new location, etc.
- Communications and Fund Raising:>Kristina discussed plans for the LCCA Ambassadors’ Ball on February 3, and noted the date of July 16, 2022 for the Second Liberty Gala>Discussed various plans and ideas for Fund Raising plans for the 2022-23 school year>The Legacy Committee provided and update on “Attitude of Gratitude” campaign (last two weeks of Nov.). Students will be encouraged to show gratitude toward their teachers; request to families to meet immediate needs of the school/teachers – Amazon Wish List – Top-10 Needs being identified).Adjournment:
- Tim Peterson moved to adjourn meeting
- Motion approved – meeting adjourned at 8:21 PM
LCCA Principal Report to Board of Directors
School Leader Report to Board of Directors November 3, 2021
GOVERNANCE DECISIONS, MONITORING, AND ACCOUNTABILITY
Current Significant Issues/Opportunities – elsewhere in agenda Matters of Approval – elsewhere in agenda
Risk and Charter Compliance Update:
- School Goals – in progress
- Math Growth Y1: 55% of all students who take the fall and spring NWEA Map Assessment willmeet projected growth in math.
- Reading Growth Y1: 55% of all students who take the fall and spring NWEA Map Assessment willmeet projected growth in reading.
- Family Engagement Y1: At least 40% of all LCCA families attend each quarterly LCCA family event,as measured by attendance records.
- Hillsdale Partnership
- Hillsdale visit report previously shared to board
- Hillsdale letter re: school marks previously shared to K. Vourax; Hillsdale College Member School
- Enrollment – currently 406 students, East 212; West 194
- Attendance –
- PowerSchool service contract
- CESA5 agreement
- Academics and Student Life
- Parent Teacher Conferences
- K-6 attendance = 96% of students had a parent attend
- 7-9 attendance = 79% (72/91) of 7th-9th grade families were represented at conferences
- Upcoming close of Quarter 1 (11/24), Report Cards
- Student Services, Special Education Compliancei. Compliance:
- Parent Teacher Conferences
1. We have two students whose evaluations have expired. We inherited these and are working to complete re-evaluations.
- We missed a 60-day deadline for an initial evaluation (by 6 days). There was miscommunication regarding DPI criteria. (It is 60 days to complete an evaluation, 30 days after that to complete an IEP, NOT 90 days total).
- 100% of our students are currently in the general education setting for at least 80% of their day! This is something that is tracked by DPI, and we’re doing great.
- All of our students are receiving the OT, PT, Speech, and Vision services as outlined in their IEP plans.
- We just found out a student has an IEP that we have not been servicing, as parents did not indicate anything in School Mint and have not communicated a disability or IEP with LCCA staff. We will implement this immediately.
ii. Progress Monitoring/Data Collection:
- Progress notes will be sent home with report cards. I intend to review these to make sure that students are, in fact, making progress, or that there is a reasonable explanation as to why progress is not being made.
- Numbers: 504s – 11; IEPs – 36; Referrals – 3; RtI – Tier 2, 5; Tier 3, 0
- Speech/Language: 12
- Other Health Impairment: 10
- Specific Learning Disability: 7
- Autism: 2
- Intellectual Disability: 2
- Significant Developmental Delay: 2
- Emotional/Behavioral Disorder: 1
- First grade teacher is collaborating with speech therapist to plan a peer-interactive math activity one time per week, so SLP can work on social communication skills with the student in the general education environment.
- OT is collaborating with special education staff and regular education teachers to put accommodations in place for students.
- School Psychologist identified a student who was being serviced by a 504 plan and made a referral for an IEP to fulfill IDEA and FAPE requirements.
- 6th grade teacher is collaborating with the special education teacher and assisting in the modifications of assignments for a student.
d. Curriculum Updates
i. Final order for main materials in progress
- Current situations – vandalism (tp, paperclip), physical fight, verbal altercations, lockers
- Virtue Reflection
- Oct. 13 Casual Dress Day; Nov. 10 Wacky Wednesday for $1
- Daily assemblies at East
- Monthly assemblies at West; possibly bi-monthly/weekly in future
- LCCA Virtue Code
v. Weekly Staff Memo
1. Matters of Note:
- Plumbing at East and West
- HVAC at East
- Front door fix at East
- Successful Fire Drills (East 10/22; West 10/28), Nov drills are scheduled
- Professional Development
- October 14 – article discussion, grade level meetings, curriculum review
- Hillsdale visit – observations and debrief
- Hillsdale Zoom opportunities
- Weekly faculty meetings to include pre-reading and discussion
- Human Resources
- Custodian at East hired; custodial help at West hired
- Part-time Latin teacher hired (6th&7th grade)
- Long-term Math sub hired through end of November
- Part-time Math teacher needed (Algebra 1) by December 1
1. Website, Indeed, LinkedIn, LCCA Facebook page
- 100 chromebooks for testing expected this week
- NWEA Map setup & data is underway
- Professional grade radios with secure frequencies arrived
- All networking and security (cameras and doors) projects have been completed
- Upcoming Events
- Wednesday, November 10 – “An Evening of Classical Conversation” @ 6:30p.m., East
- Wednesday, November 17 – Enrollment Information Session @ 6:30p.m., East
- Thursday, November 25 – Sunday, November 28 – Thanksgiving Break
- Wednesday, December 1 – Quarter 1 Report Cards
- Tuesday, December 14 – 5th-9th Band&Orchestra Christmas Concert @ 6:30p.m., East
- Tuesday, December 21 – K-9 Christmas Choral Concert @6:30 p.m., East
- Thursday, December 23 – Sunday, January 2 – WINTER BREAK
- Monday, January 3 – All Staff Professional Development Day
- Tuesday, January 4 – Students return
- School leadership requested actions of the board for the next board meeting
- Board requested actions of the principal for the next board meeting